Pause for Empowerment
June 9, 2020
Over the next 4-6 weeks, we’re hitting the pause button and hope you will too.
Instead of a full podcast episode about a leadership topic or challenge, we’re offering you a series of brief devotions to nurture your soul as a leader so you can continue equipping people to follow Jesus.
Matthew 28:16-20 (MSG)
Listen to the podcast.
Jesus commissioned his disciples to reach the world with his message. Then, only as Jesus could, he gave them the power needed to succeed. He promised them his presence as he empowered them to live into God’s mission.
In this scripture, authority is empowerment. When Jesus empowered his followers, he gave them a clearly defined purpose, prepared them to live out the purpose, and promised to be with them as they lived their purpose.
As Jesus followers, Jesus is the authority of your life. It is Jesus who informs your thinking, your decisions, and your relationships. By his authority, he gives you all you need to succeed at the mission.
So, you have the assurance that your leader, Jesus, stands beside you, behind you, with you all the way, supporting you and providing what you need for the task of living into your purpose.
You might think of it this way, authority is not Jesus telling you what to do but is a matter of Jesus empowering you to be who you were created to be. As you are empowered, you influence others. As a Jesus follower, you do more than point people in the right direction, you empower them to be Jesus followers, with a clearly defined purpose and the promise to be with them as they live out their purpose.
- Today, how will you recognize the authority of Jesus?
- Pay close attention to the people who are making significant investments in your life.
- How do those persons empower you?
- Pay attention to the people with whom you interact today.
- Be aware of the persons in whom you are investing.
- What difference does your interaction make in your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors?
Reflect upon the scripture and your interactions of the day.
- Who encouraged and empowered you today? Who did you encourage and empower?
- In whom did you meet Jesus today?
- For whom or what are you grateful?
- Do you think or feel that you missed some opportunities today?
- What might you do differently tomorrow?
O God, thank you for your presence and power in and through Jesus. I am grateful for your investment in my life and I pray that you will empower me to invest my life in the people around me. I am especially grateful that you are helping me become more who you created me to be. Help me focus my eyes more upon Jesus, so I may recognize you more often in the people I meet along the way. Amen.