Courageous conversations are not always easy conversations. But, they are the conversations that invite us to stay focused. As leaders, you continue to navigate a season with new obstacles continuing to emerge at regular intervals.
I won’t name all the obstacles you’ve faced this year, you know them well.
But, I will remind you, as you continue to navigate this season, there is one thing that has not and will not change: a focus on making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
In episode 142, we have a conversation with Jenn Lucas, Senior Pastor of Church of the Saviour UMC in Cincinnati, Ohio. Jenn’s top five CliftonStrengths are Strategic, Futuristic, Communication, Self-Assurance, and Relator.
We talk about how the Communication talent theme guides her in building relationships, the challenges of inviting people to make commitments, helping people have faithful conversations about race, and addressing mental health challenges in your local community. Additionally, we explore how COVID-19 has helped the congregation get clear about what church activities are truly focused on disciple-making.
Together, these examples highlight the passion and joy Jenn brings to ministry. Through challenges and long-term planning, she reminds us how to lead from your unique talents and surround yourself with people who will challenge you.
Building a culture of discipleship is not a program or a one-time event. It is an ongoing journey of navigating deep and shallow waters with compassion, grace, and a sense of humor.
You’ll hear all three in this episode and be encouraged to stay focused on disciple-making, regardless of the waters you’re currently navigating.
Mentioned in this episode
The Color of Compromise:
The Four Disciplines of Execution
CliftonStrengths Mentioned in this episode
- Strategic: People exceptionally talented in the Strategic theme create alternative ways to proceed. Faced with any given scenario, they can quickly spot the relevant patterns and issues
- Futuristic: People exceptionally talented in the Futuristic theme are inspired by the future and what could be. They energize others with their visions of the future
- Communication: People exceptionally talented in the Communication theme generally find it easy to put their thoughts into words. They are good conversationalists and presenters.
- Self-Assurance: People exceptionally talented in the Self-Assurance theme feel confident in their ability to take risks and manage their own lives. They have an inner compass that gives them certainty in their decisions.
- Relator: People exceptionally talented in the Relator theme enjoy close relationships with others. They find deep satisfaction in working hard with friends to achieve a goal.