Helping Parents & Kids Become Who God Created Them to Be
November 19, 2019
People were bringing babies to Jesus so that he would bless them. When the disciples saw this, they scolded them. Then Jesus called them to him and said, “Allow the children to come to me. Don’t forbid them, because God’s kingdom belongs to people like these children. I assure you that whoever doesn’t welcome God’s kingdom like a child will never enter it.”
– Luke 18:15-17 (CEB)
What if the above scripture is about more than including kids? What if it is about helping kids become who God created them to be?
In today’s episode, we explore the big idea that no one can “go it alone” – especially kids. You may desire independence or think you have everything figured out for yourself, but the reality is this: none of us can go it alone.
You are Hard-Wired for Connection
Your brain is literally designed to help you thrive when you connect with other people. We are literally hard-wired for connection. The human body is pretty amazing, isn’t it? But that’s not what this episode is about. It’s about helping you, an adult, help kids become who God created them to be. The first step is to know who you are and how you relate to others.
Part of why we don’t develop relationships with people is because we fear vulnerability. As a reminder, vulnerability is the emotion we experience during times of uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure. So, if you’re feeling a bit “weak in the knees” welcome to the world of being human.
The basic reality is this: we need one another. And, kids need adults to help them learn how to develop healthy relationships.
Interestingly enough, the greatest predictor of a child’s happiness is whether or not they have a network of caring adults.
Kids Need a Network of Caring Adults
We invite you to explore how you can enhance or become a part of a network of adults supporting the children around you – either in your family or community.
We’ll give you two options for taking the next step (see links below). One involves getting out into your community. The other involves taking a few minutes to reflect on what makes you an incredible adult (mom, dad, grandparent, aunt, uncle, coach, teacher, scout leader, etc.).
Then, you’ll have the opportunity to reflect on what makes a child in your life incredible.
Which step will you start with? It’s up to you. Both steps will guide you in helping parents and kids become who God created them to be. And we think that’s pretty incredible.
Your Next Step:
- Download the Transformation Guide to take the next step in building relationships that help parents and kids become who God created them to be.
- Find out what makes you an IncredibleParent (i.e., adult)
- Take the IncredibleParents and IncredibleKids assessment
Mentioned in the Episode
- Discover what makes you and your kids Incredible!
- Get the Transformation Guide and learn how to take the steps to connect with your community
- Episode 092: The One Surprising, Foundational Skill Disciples Need
- Episode 093: Being a Jesus Follower at Work
- Become a LeaderCast Insider – be the first to know every week when a new episode of LeaderCast goes live. You’ll also get links to the resources for each episode!