Choosing What is Right Over What is Fun, Fast and Easy
July 9, 2019
Fast and Easy?
Think about the last time you took a road trip and found yourself stuck in traffic on the interstate. How did you respond?
- Did you immediately pull out your phone, open Google Maps or Waze and look for a different route?
- Did you see if there was a way to sneak around on the shoulder to the nearest exit to find a route around the stopped traffic?
- Were you frustrated?
- Did you wait patiently until cars started moving? (Good for you for being among the 1% of patient individuals in the world!)
All of us, at some point, have tried to take a route around stopped traffic. Whether it was the wisdom of a navigation app or your own intuition, most of us look for the fastest way to get somewhere.
Unfortunately, when it comes to leadership, going fast isn’t usually going to yield results, especially when it comes to integrity.
Integrity is choosing courage over comfort, choosing what is right over what is fun, fast and easy, and living our values not just professing our values.
In Episode 074, we explored the first aspect of integrity, choosing courage over comfort. In Episode 075, we explore choosing what is right over what is fun, fast or easy. To be clear, you can’t separate the different aspects of integrity. We’re taking on the three aspects of integrity over three LeaderCast episodes for clarity.
We’ll explore a few examples of leading with integrity from the local church and invite you to consider the challenges you face as a leader.
Here are a few questions to consider as you listen to this episode:
- What’s something you don’t talk about?
- What’s an action you don’t want to take, because it will get messy, quickly? You know it is the right thing. But, it takes too much time, too many resources, or it’s just too hard?
These questions are invitations to live into your integrity by choosing what is right, over what is fun, fast and easy.
Dare to Lead
Interested in learning the skills you need to lead with courage? Complete this simple form and let us know you’re interested in Dare to Lead. we’ll keep you updated about opportunities for you to become a brave leader and create courageous cultures.