Parable of the Rich Fool
This week we’ll be reading, reflecting, and responding to the Parable of the Rich Fool. Read Luke 12:13-21
April 8 – Luke 12:13-21 – Introduction
This Reflection on Reality challenges our assumptions that life consists in what we have or what we own. It offers a way of living as a Christian disciple in relationship to affluence and responsibility. The way of God is the way of living responsibly with things. Your identity is not in how much you have. You are a fool to be consumed by your possession. Your identity is in the God who has provided what you have. Wealth or lack of wealth is not the issue. Your identity in God is the issue. You might be “rich” in wealth but not rich toward God and God’s work.
- Read Luke 12:13
- Reflect & Respond:
- Assumption – Life consists in how much I have i.e., our possessions.
- How did you live responsibly with what you own today?
Be reminded: Today, attempt to give more than you take. Then, let us know how you do.
- Read: Luke 12:14
- Reflect & Respond: Who is Jesus?
- Read Luke 12:15
- Reflect & Respond: 1) Where did you witness greed today? 2) Do you consider yourself a person who has a little, enough, or a lot?
Be reminded, life does not consist in the abundance of possessions.
- Read Luke 12:16-19
- Reflect and Respond:
- How much is enough?
- What do you do when you have more than enough?
- Read Luke 12:20
- Reflect and respond:
- True or False?: I tend to think of others more than myself.
- What did you experience today that reminded you that your identity comes from Christ, not from your possessions?
Be reminded, affluence brings responsibility.
- Read Luke 12:21
- Reflect and respond: Is your barn filled with self or filled with God? Be reminded: God has already been generous to you. What does “being rich toward God” look like?
Our conversations are moving from our Facebook Page to a Facebook Group for discussion. Click here to join. We’ll approve you within 24 hours.
If you’re new to Facebook Groups, this is a closed group. What does that mean? Anyone can see the group and who is in the group. Only Members of Closed Groups can see the conversation.
Not on Facebook? No problem! Use the comment section below.
What Parable is Next?
April 15: Parable of the Great Banquet – 14:15-24
April 22: Parable of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin – 15:1-10
April 29: Parable of the Lost Son – 15:11-31 – Part One (Focus upon 15:11-24)
May 6: Parable of the Lost Son – 15:11-32 – Part Two (Focus upon 15:25-32)
May 13: Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector – Luke 18:9-14
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!