Awaken to God’s Presence
Tell me, “Where did you see God today?” Yes, today.
Have to think about it? Quick to reply?
Either way, it’s good sign you’re the person we want to help “Awaken to God’s Presence.” Over many years and hundreds of people, we’ve watched people wake up to God’s presence around them by engaging in a simple, transformational practice.
- Read a Scripture.
- Reflect on a focus word.
- Respond to one question.
We told you, it’s simple. But don’t let the simplicity fool you. It’s also what leads to individual and community transformation.
What You’ll Do:
We’ll post a Scripture, word, and question on the Facebook Page every morning at 6:30 a.m. Look for it to be “pinned” to the top of the page before 8 a.m. Each day stands on its own. While this series started on 1/6/18, you can jump in at any time. Here’s what we’ll do together.
- READ the Scripture.
- REFLECT on a focus word throughout the day.
- RESPOND to a question after 7:30 p.m.
Again, the process is simple. The outcome is transformational.
Can you imagine what might happen in our cities, towns, and neighborhoods if we awaken to God’s presence? What might happen if we then joined God in ministry where we live, work, worship, and play? I believe our lives and our communities will change.
So, it wasn’t a rhetorical question. Where did you see God today? Let us know in the comments below. Better yet, sign-up below to join us in waking up to God’s presence. And remember, you can join at any time. The dates below simply serve as a guide.
- Read Matthew 2:1-12
- Reflect on JOY.
- Respond: Where did you witness joy today?
- Read Mark 1:4-11
- Reflect on LOVE.
- Respond: Where did you see God’s love today?
- Read Isaiah 60:1-6
- Reflect on LIGHT.
- Respond: Where did you see the light of Christ today?
- Read Ephesians 3:1-12
- Reflect on GRACE.
- Respond: Where did you experience God’s grace today?
- Read Psalm 72:1-7, 10-14
- Reflect on COMPASSION.
- Respond: Where did you see God’s compassion today?
- Read Genesis 1:1-5
- Reflect on GOODNESS
- Respond: Where did you see God’s goodness today?
- Read Acts 19:1-7
- Reflect on SPIRIT
- Respond: Where did you witness the HOLY SPIRIT today?
- Read John 1:35-45
- Reflect on what it means to FOLLOW
- Respond: How did you FOLLOW Jesus today?
- Read John 1:43-51.
- Reflect on SEEING.
- Respond: What did you SEE today that showed God’s presence?
- Read 1 Samuel 3:1-10 (11-20).
- Reflect on God’s CALL. Everyone has a calling. It’s not just for pastors!
- Respond: What experience today aligned with God’s CALLING on your life?
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:18-25.
- Reflect on WISDOM.
- Respond: Where did you witness God’s WISDOM today?
- Read Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18.
- Reflect on what it means for God to KNOW you.
- Respond: What experience today affirmed that God KNOWS you?
- Read Hosea 2:14-20.
- Reflect on FAITHFULNESS.
- Respond: Where did you see God’s FAITHFULNESS?
- Read Acts 8:26-39.
- Reflect on REJOICE.
- Respond: Where did you witness REJOICING?
- Read John 1:29-34.
- Reflect on TESTIMONY.
- Respond: Where did you witness a TESTIMONY about Jesus today?
- Read Mark 1:14-20
- Reflect on CHANGE.
- Respond: What CHANGE is Jesus inviting you to make so you can follow him?
- Read Jonah 3:1-5, 10
- Reflect. The focus word today is GO.
- Respond: Where did you GO today that you recognized God’s presence?
- Read 1 Corinthians 7:29-31
- Reflect. The focus word today is TIME.
- Respond: Where did you see Jesus occupy TIME today?
- Read Psalm 62:5-12
- Reflect. The focus word today is STRENGTH.
- Respond: Where did you experience God’s STRENGTH today?
- Read Deuteronomy 5:12-15
- Reflect. The focus word today is HOLY.
- Respond: What did you experience today that was HOLY?
- Read Acts 9:1-19.
- Reflect. The focus word today is OPEN.
- Respond: Where were your eyes OPENED today?
- Read John 2:1-11
- Reflect. The focus word today is REVELATION.
- Respond: Where did Jesus REVEAL his glory today?
- Read Mark 1:21-28
- Reflect on the focus word TEACH
- Respond (later today): What did Jesus TEACH you today?
- Read Deut 18:15-20
- Reflect on the focus word SPEAK
- Respond (later today): How did God SPEAK to you today?
- Read 1 Cor 8:1-13
- Reflect on the focus word BELONG
- Respond (later today): What happened today to remind you that you BELONG to God?
- Read Psalm 111
- Reflect on the focus word AWE
- Respond (later today): What happened today that made you stand in AWE of God?
- Read 2 Kings 2:1-12
- Reflect on the focus word: FAITHFUL
- Respond (later today): How did you experience God’s FAITHFULNESS today?
- Read Acts 10:1-23
- Reflect on the focus word GUIDANCE
- Respond (later today): What GUIDANCE did you receive from the Lord today?
- Read Mark 1:35-39
- Reflect on the focus word PRAY
- Respond (later today): Who or what are you PRAYING for today? Bonus question: How can we PRAY for you today?
- Read Mark 1:40-45
- Reflect on the focus word WHOLE
- Respond (later today): Where did you witness God’s WHOLENESS today?
- Read 2 Kings 5:1-14
- Reflect on the focus word RESTORATION.
- Respond (later today): What RESTORATION is God doing in your life and the lives of the people around you?
- Read 1 Cor 9:24-27
- Reflect on the focus word DISCIPLINE.
- Respond (later today): What DISCIPLINE did you practice today?
- Read Psalm 30
- Reflect on the focus word JOY.
- Respond (later today): Where did you see JOY today?
- Read Lamentations 3:1-25
- Reflect on the focus word FAITHFUL.
- Respond (later today): Where did you witness God’s FAITHFULNESS?
- Read Psalm 50:1-6
- Reflect on the focus word BEAUTY.
- Respond (later today): Where did you see BEAUTY today?
- Read Mark 2:13-17
- Reflect on the focus word HOSPITALITY.
- Respond (later today): Where did you see or experience HOSPITALITY today?
Are you ready to Get Real?
- Read Mark 2:1-12
- Reflect on the focus word PRAISE.
- Respond (later today): How did you PRAISE God today?
- Read Isaiah 43:18-25
- Reflect on the focus word NEW.
- Respond (later today): What new this is God doing in your midst?
- Read 2 Cor 1:18-22
- Reflect on the focus word WISDOM.
- Respond (later today): Where did you experience God’s wisdom today?
Sign up below to get all the daily readings.
Day 1: Where did you witness joy? Here are a few thoughts on joy and where I witnessed joy today https://www.sarathomas.net/awaken-joy/
January 8: Where did you see the LIGHT of Christ? Isaiah 60:1-6 Here are a few thoughts on light and where I witnessed Christ’s light today. https://www.sarathomas.net/awaken-to-light/
I saw compassion in our special needs teacher at our school….she is a gentle young woman who never has an unkind word to say about anyone. She treats her students with the utmost respect; she treats them no differently than she treats anyone….I admire her compassion daily
How fortunate for the students, their families, and all of you to have people around you who embody compassion daily. Special needs teachers = compassion! 🙂
I saw joy in God’s creation in nature. Five, not one, but five rooster pheasants very near our rural home. They are getting very scarce and seeing them brought me joy and instantly caused me to thank God for His creation, all of it!
I saw love in our son’s family helping each other out as each took turns being very ill this week.
I saw light in the eyes of the children at our after school program in our little rural town. Eager to get off the bus and see what the church (God) had in store for them.
I saw grace in just being able to be with God on my couch early in the morning and know that He is always with me.
Joy, love, light, grace…I see what you did there 🙂 Love it!
January 15 – CALL – Awaken Your Calling reflection can be found here: https://www.sarathomas.net/awaken-your-calling/
January 16 – WISDOM – Awaken Wisdom reflection can be found here: https://www.sarathomas.net/awaken-wisdom/
Odd that I ‘jumped in’ on the day that had me reading Ps. 139. Last Sunday, my sermon was about how God knows our future vs. how much we self-determine it (you know, the old Calvinist theology argument). So I had already been giving this some deeper thought. I tend to think God ‘knows’ me–and that knowledge is how he sets my path. I was thinking about how well I know my kids/my wife & it helps me relate to them & even predict what they will do and how they will respond. I suppose God’s ‘knows’ me that way–He certainly has set me up in ways I never expected.
There’s a freedom in knowing that I have a partner in this. My task/my responsibility is great–I am not alone.
As I was about to trudge out to the bird feeder in ankle-deep snow, I caught sight of the mailman making up our long country-lane driveway to deliver a package to my house. I thought how we were both displaying a modicum of faithfulness to our ‘clients.’ How much more has God been faithful in caring for me. I like the way Hosea used the image of marriage to indicate faithfulness. It is a long-ago promise kept. It is a daily expectation. It is giving and receiving.
I look forward to the reading each day and the challenge to see God at work each and every day. I rejoice knowing that He loves me and gives me all kinds of reasons to continue in faith, even when things seem to be bleak. My testimony today is that hope abounds. The hope is in Jesus and what He calls me and all of us to do here on this earth. My testimony is that He will never give up on me or any of us. The choice is mine (and all of us) to follow.
What scripture can be read for preparing myself before a 2 day prayer conferance